John Diamond Jr.
(Level 6, RefID #80)
The following information comes from a letter from Doris Diamond Royce
to John Darby Bowman in 1961 based upon her research to date.
- Born January 11, 1781, died January 9, 1842, aged 61, at 204 South Front Street, Philadelphia, Pa
, where his family had lived for many years
- He married Maria Eleanor Carrell in 1819.
- He was listed in the Philadelphia Directory in 1819, 1820, and 1821 as: Diamond, John, 383 Arch
St. and Bank Alley.
- Quotation from American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia Records, Vol. 15, pg. 409
footnote. "In connection with the name of John Diamond Jr. the following has been supplied
to the writer by Mr. John Bernard Diamond of Montgomery County, Maryland. "Nicholas Bernard born
October 22, 1732 married in London, December 2, 1756 to Elizabeth Hadspy. He died in Philadelphia
January 2, 1789. Their daughter, Mary Catherine, born September 1, 1757; died September 3, 1793,
married 1780 John Diamond at St. Josephs Church, Philadelphia."
- There are various documents in the Pennsylvania Historical Society relating to John Diamond's
- John Diamond is buried in vault 10, St. Mary's churchyard.
- At about the same time there was another John Diamond listed in the Philadelphia
Directory, as hairdresser and bleeder! His dates and addresses offer no confusion luckily.
- John and Maria had many children and from the Catholic Historical Society records I learned
some interesting facts. Daughter Georgina (the homely one in the family album) never married.
She bequeathed over $52,000 to Catholic charities. Her sister, Ellen Ann, entered the Convent
of the Sacred Heart in 1847 and received her black veil at Eden's Hall, Pennsylvania
in 1850. When she died in 1876, a year after Georgina, she bequeathed over $12,500
to Catholic charities.
- In addition to the two girls there were Bernard Diamond, born April 13, 1822 - died
August 9, 1862, vault 11; Edward Carrell Diamond, born February 17, 1827 - died February
25, 1832, vault 11.
- Footnote pg. 410 "some of the dates enumerated above were obtained from the Bible of
John Carrell now in the possession of Misses Ellen and Eliza M. Jenkins of Baltimore.